Many Indian students have a special wish to study in the United States. It’s easy to see why this is. The country is known for its academic excellence, flexible curriculum, research and job opportunities, and a chance to experience a different culture. But, it can be confusing to figure out how to get a visa to study in USA without the right help. In this helpful guide, we will show you all about the different types of student visas, the important papers you need, how much it costs to get a visa, the things you need to be allowed to apply, and the step-by-step process to apply when you’re in India. No matter if you want to do your bachelor’s, master’s, or PhD, this guide will give you the information and confidence you need to start your studies in the USA.
Different Types of Student Visas in the USA
Studying in the United States provides numerous opportunities for international students. Here are the main student visa types you should be familiar with:
F-1 Student Visa
The F-1 student visa is the most common visa for academic studies. It is issued to students attending accredited universities, colleges, high schools, language training programs, or other academic institutions in the USA.
J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa
The J-1 visa is designed for exchange programs, including study tours, internships, research programs, and cultural exchanges.
M-1 Student Visa
The M-1 visa is for students pursuing non-academic or vocational studies, such as technical training or vocational courses.
Want to start your career with studying in aboard? Contact team Influencers for a FREE STUDY ABROAD COUNSELLING.
Documents Required for a US Student Visa
Before applying for a US student visa, you must gather the necessary documents to support your application. Below is a checklist of essential documents:
- Form DS-160: This is the online application form that you need to fill out with accurate and up-to-date information. Once done, you need a confirmation page with bar codes.
- Valid Passport: Your passport should be valid for at least six months beyond your planned stay in the USA.
- Acceptance Letter: A letter of acceptance from a US educational institution is essential to prove your enrollment.
- I-20: This document, issued by the institution you will attend, verifies your eligibility for an F-1 or M-1 visa.
- SEVIS DS-2019: For J-1 visa applicants, the SEVIS DS-2019 form is required instead of the I-20.
- SEVIS fee receipt: The SEVIS fee receipt is a required document for obtaining a student visa in the USA, confirming payment of the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System fee.
- Financial Proof: You must demonstrate sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees, living expenses, and return transportation.
- Academic Transcripts: Provide transcripts of your academic qualifications and any standardized test scores.
- Passport-Sized Photographs: Follow the specific guidelines for passport photos required by the US Embassy.
- Visa Application Fee: Pay the non-refundable visa application fee as per the US Embassy’s guidelines.
- Interview Appointment Letter: Schedule an interview at the US Embassy or Consulate in India.
Cost of Student Visa in the USA
As an aspiring Indian student planning to study in the USA, it’s crucial to understand the financial aspects of obtaining a student visa. The cost varies depending on the visa type and other factors. Here’s a breakdown of the major expenses:
- Visa Application Fee: The visa application fee for an F, J, or M visa is $185. Please note that this fee is non-refundable.
- SEVIS Fee: Before your visa interview, you are required to pay the SEVIS fee, which varies based on the visa type. For F and M visas, the fee is $350, while for J visas, it is $220.
- Health Insurance: Many universities in the USA require health insurance coverage for international students. The cost varies depending on the chosen plan.
- Living Expenses: Consider the cost of living in your chosen city or state, including accommodation, food, transportation, and other personal expenses.
- Tuition Fees: The tuition fees vary significantly based on the course, university, and level of study. Research and compare different institutions to find the best fit for your budget.
- Travel Expenses: Don’t forget to budget for your travel expenses to and from the USA.
Read more: Student Visa Assistance for Indian students
USA Study Visa Process & Eligibility
To be eligible for a USA study visa, you must meet the following criteria:
- Admission to an Accredited Institution: You must have an acceptance letter from a recognized US educational institution.
- Sufficient Funds: You must demonstrate that you can financially support yourself during your stay in the USA.
- Ties to Your Home Country: You must prove strong ties to your home country, indicating that you intend to return after completing your studies.
- Academic Qualifications: You should have the necessary academic qualifications and language proficiency required for your chosen program.
- Nonimmigrant Intent: You must show that you have a nonimmigrant intent, meaning you plan to return to your home country upon completing your studies.
How to Apply for a Student Visa for the USA in India?
Applying for a US student visa from India involves a systematic process. Follow these steps for a successful application:
Step 1: Secure Admission: Begin by researching and applying to accredited US educational institutions. Upon receiving an acceptance letter, pay the SEVIS fee.
Step 2: Complete DS-160 Form: Visit the Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC) website and fill out the Visa Form DS-160. Remember to save the confirmation page and print the barcode.
Step 3: Pay Visa Fee: Pay the visa application fee of $160 online using the designated payment methods like NEFT or Debit/Credit cards.
Step 4: Schedule Interview: Create a profile on the US Embassy’s official website and schedule an biometrics appointment & interview appointment at the nearest US Embassy or Consulate.
Step 5: Gather Documents: Assemble all required documents, including your passport, SEVIS I-20, financial documents, transcripts, and photographs.
Step 6: Pay Sevis fee: Mandatory for F-1 visa;funds SEVIS system tracking international students during their academic stay.
Step 6: Biometric Appointment: You must attend a personal appointment where your photograph will be taken for the visa, and your fingerprints will be scanned.
Step 7: Personal Interview: On the interview day, arrive early with all documents in hand. Dress professionally and confidently answer the consular officer’s questions. During the interview, the officer will inquire about your course selection, college choice, financial arrangements, and your intentions to return home. If the interviewer is satisfied, they will retain your passport to stamp the visa.
Can I apply for a student visa without a confirmed admission letter?
No, a confirmed admission letter from an accredited US educational institution is essential for the student visa application.
What is the SEVIS fee, and how can I pay it?
The SEVIS fee is a mandatory fee paid to the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. You can pay the fee online through the SEVIS website.
Are there any age restrictions for obtaining a student visa?
No, there are no specific age restrictions for obtaining a student visa. As long as you meet the eligibility criteria, you can apply for a student visa.
Can I work while on an F-1 student visa in the USA?
Yes, F-1 visa holders are eligible for limited on-campus employment and certain off-campus employment opportunities. However, you must adhere to the rules and regulations set by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
Is the visa application fee refundable if my application is rejected?
No, the visa application fee is non-refundable, regardless of the visa decision.
Can I bring my spouse and children with me on a student visa?
Your spouse and children can apply for an F-2 visa to accompany you to the USA. They may not work while on an F-2 visa but can attend school part-time.
Embarking on a journey to study in the USA as an Indian student is an exciting and rewarding endeavor. As this comprehensive guide has illuminated, the process of obtaining a study visa involves careful planning, meticulous documentation, and a focused determination to succeed. By aligning your academic aspirations with the specific visa requirements, showcasing your intent to return to India upon completion, and demonstrating your financial preparedness, you are laying a strong foundation for a successful visa application.
If you need help to make the process of getting a student visa for the USA easier, reach out to the experts at Influencers Edu. Our professional consultants who specialise in overseas education can guide you in choosing the right steps to get your USA student visa quickly and smoothly.